What we do: We read and discuss global health literature, attend presentations, compete in case competitions, and work in the local community to understand and improve health. We also partner with the Hser Ner Moo Community Center to learn and volunteer with the local refugee population. Global Health Scholars have also had opportunities to work internationally, including trips to India, Ghana, and Peru.
Committees: As a way of ensuring that the feedback and effort of all members goes into planning the meetings and future of Global Health Scholars, three committees have been established:
- Community Outreach
- Community Outreach will create a conference poster for the Case Competition, invite guest speakers, and lead discussions on Grand Round presentations.
- Scholarly Dialogue
- The Scholarly Dialogue committee will select readings, videos, and topics for the Global Health Scholars to discuss.
- Resettlement Initiative
- The Resettlement Initiative will facilitate discussion about and oversee our volunteer work with community partners, and research/present on refugee issues to other Global Health Scholars and at the spring Refugee Symposium.
Application now open! (Closes August 30, 2019)
Presentations & Accomplishments
- Engaged Learning Summit 2015 – PowerPoint
- Advancing Health through Community
- Resettlement Initiative Poster from Extreme Affordability Conference
2019-2020 Meeting Information
Dr. Stephen Alder
Chief, Division of Public Health
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine