Living Learning Communities
All students living in Honors residence spaces are members of a Living Learning Community (LLC) or themed communities, in which a small cohort of students shares living space, along with selected classes and/or activities.
“Learning communities can offer more: curricular coherence; integrative, high-quality learning; collaborative knowledge-construction; and skills and knowledge relevant to living in a complex, messy, diverse world.”
Students who participate in these type of communities tend to earn higher grades, graduate on time and feel more connected to the university .
Honors College Living Learning Communities (LLCs)
LLCs are designed to bring smaller groups of students together within a residence hall. These groups create a small network of Honors students who take one or more required Honors courses together during their first year of college.
**Accepted Students are given a link to the First Year Honors Housing Application in their acceptance letter materials.
The groups also participate in out-of-class co-curricular activities.
• Small groups of Honors students living in the Honors residences
• 1-2 required Honors courses
• Designed for first-year honors students
• Community out of class special events and programming
• First year spots on the Honors Sage Point residence hall floor and the Marriott Honors Community Building
Accepted Students–Would you like to learn more? Would you like to talk through your choices with an Honors Advisor? Sign up for a tour with us for February or March or attend an Honors Choice Day.
Each LLC is made up of a mix of students from different majors, interests, hometowns, etc.
Global Perspectives Community
Outdoor Education and Leadership Community
Bradley Community Scholars
Sage Point Honors Community
Research in the Sciences Cohort
**(This community requires a separate Eccles application and selection process—you may not apply through the Housing application for this community.)
First-year Honors College students, interested in living on campus have options for Honors specific housing in the Marriott Honors Community (MHC) or Sage Point Resident Hall Honors Floor. (Living with Honors is not mandatory)
All LLCs have mandatory Honors courses associated with them.
Application Process & Eligibility
- Apply to and be accepted to the Honors College.
- Understand that if you live in Honors Housing you will all be required to participate in an LLC wherein they must enroll in certain Honors courses.
- If interested in Honor Housing attend a group tour or contact an Honors Academic Advisor to understand your LLC options. Complete the Honors form for Housing included in your Honors admissions material.
- Apply through the University Housing application starting February 10th. Select Honors housing as one of your options. Honors housing is not guaranteed and is filled as space is available.
- Apply for University Housing any time during the February 10th through March 10th to be entered into the first round Housing lottery.
- Pay application fee and select desired room during your registration time.
*Waitlisted Honors applicants will not be able to select Honors housing opportunities until accepted to the Honors College.
- Consider your choices, then fill out the Honors housing application.
- Submit your University Housing application during the month of February. Application goes live February 10th. This step is necessary to be considered for ANY Honors housing.
- Honors housing spaces will be granted on a space available basis after March.
- Honors current students are selected meritoriously. Students who are actively pursuing their honors degree and in good academic standing are competitive.