Newly Admitted Students
Information for our 2020 Incoming Class
*Those applying to enter the U in 2021 should check back here in February 2021
Congratulations! You’ve just been accepted to the Honors College at the University Of Utah…now what?
A few steps are required before you begin at the University Of Utah.
Unfortunately, the Honors College and the University were not able to host many of the visit options we planned due to COVID-19 prevention measures.
While we may not be able to offer you an in-person Honors Choice Day, we do have our online version up and ready to explore.
We are using Canvas to deliver this content but you do not need to be an enrolled UofU student to access this particular “course”. Use your University of Utah login information (reminder: this information came with your University of Utah admissions letter and does NOT require you to pay your enrollment deposit to access). We hope that this helps you make your college decision and that you learn a lot about us.
- Honors hosts special Honors Choice Days and Information Session/Tours to help you determine if Honors is the best fit for you.
- Honors Choice Days are the most comprehensive look at the Honors College. Guests will participate in sessions covering an overview of Honors, Housing, the student perspective and time with faculty and advisors. Tours of the Honors Residence are provided as an optional add on to the day.
- Honors Information Sessions/Tours are good alternatives for students who cannot participate in an Honors Choice Day. Led by exemplary current honors students, the information session/tour is an abbreviated option for accepted students who cannot attend an Honors Choice day and an excellent option for a prospective student. Your tour guides will overview the Honors College and important dates and deadlines. You will also tour one of the living spaces available to Honors students.
Students are required to pay an enrollment deposit to secure their place at the U. This payment is not due until June 1, 2020. However, you cannot register for mandatory orientation without payment. https:/admissions.utah.edu/confirm/. Confirming your intent to enroll is all that you need to do for the Honors College. The Honors College does not require an acceptance of your spot with Honors beyond this enrollment payment.
*If your enrollment payment is waived, no further action is required.
**If you plan to defer, enrollment payment is still required.
Register for orientation Honors holds special sessions with advisors during summer orientation. You will be informed of your Honors session day and time later in the year once you have registered for orientation. Should you attend an orientation for a summer start, or international orientation, please make a separate appointment with an Honors advisor during that time.
Interested in Living with Honors Your First Year?
**Honors students are NOT required to live in Honors Housing.**
You can apply to live in for housing through the “Student Housing” square on your CIS profile. The 2020-2021 application opens Saturday, February 9th, with a priority application deadline of Sunday, March 10th. Applications received after this date will be reviewed only after all applicants meeting the priority deadline have received an Honors Housing offer.
All first year Honors students in Honors Housing live in one of our Living & Learning Communities (LLCs) . Each LLC requires specific course enrollment and participation. Some of these LLCs are configured as themed Honors Colloquia, organized as a maximal year-long cohort experience around a certain theme.
If you are not interested or able to live on campus, you can independently organize; here is Facebook Group for the Honors Class of 2023!
Please contact email@example.com with any HONORS housing questions or for more information. Have general housing questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Housing Application Opens: Saturday, February 9th
- Priority Housing Application Deadline: Sunday, March 10th
- Honors students are NOT required to live in Honors Housing
- You may accept other on-campus housing while remaining in Honors Housing waiting pool
Starting after Sunday, March 10th, the Honors College will send housing offers via email where specific LLC requirements will be outlined. Your offer email will also contain the date by which you must accept or decline your offer, or alternatively, be returned to the waiting pool in hopes of receiving a placement in a different LLC. You may accept a different on-campus housing offer while remaining in the Honors Housing waiting pool. If you accept your Honors Housing placement, you will then be able to select your individual bed within your LLC.
Unfortunately, we do not have enough spots available to match the number of Honors Housing applications we receive. This means that we use a lottery process to offer students spaces in Honors Housing. However, all students who remained on the waitlist last year were eventually offered Honors Housing. If you are not interested or able to live on campus, you can independently organize; here is Facebook Group for the Honors Class of 2023!
Please contact Matt Kirkegaard at email@example.com or 801-587-1608 with any HONORS housing questions or for more information. Have general housing questions? Call 801-587-2002.