Cultural immersion greatly enriches a liberal arts and sciences education. To support students who pursue this opportunity, the Honors College provides credit for academically strong study abroad programs.
Fill out our Honors Study Abroad Survey:
Students can earn one Honors elective (3 credit hours) toward their Honors degree. Programs offered through the University of Utah Learning Abroad Office may be approved for Honors credit. To qualify for Honors credit, learning abroad programs must:
- Be pre-approved by an Honors Academic Advisor
- Meet for a minimum of 5 weeks
- Carry at least 6 credit hours
- Meet with your Honors Academic Advisor prior to program selection for pre-approval. Please bring information about the program(s) you are considering to this advising meeting.
- Earn a minimum grade of a B+ or above in the course.
- Write a 1,000 word reflection essay on your intellectual experiences abroad considering one or more of the following:
- How did studying abroad complement your academic plans (e.g., your major or thesis)?
- Summarize what you learned in terms of the discipline you studied abroad.
- How did this experience change the way you understand some aspect(s) of your discipline or the discipline you studied abroad?
- Submit this form along with the essay to your Honors Academic Advisor within one month of your return.
For applications and a full description of programs the University of Utah offers, please visit the Learning Abroad website.
Ecology and Legacy Minor
The Honors Ecology and Legacy Integrated Minor is another option for students wishing to receive Honors credit while learning abroad. It includes travel to and study in Argentina as part of the minor requirements. Students accepted to this minor do not have to seek pre-approval to earn credit toward their Honors degree.